Refining Your EFF Management System with Nikki Elledge Brown
Do you ever get to a place where things start to feel stressful and not enjoyable anymore? If you want to create a simple and inspired life on your terms without the guilt, this episode is for you. You’ll learn how to manage your expectations, identify your priorities, nurture relationships, and stay focused on what matters to you.
In this episode, I get cozy with one of my closest friends + biz BFF, Nikki Elledge Brown.
Nikki is a mom of three known online for her practical teaching style and refreshingly honest reflections on the realities of parenthood and entrepreneurship. She's a speaker, teacher, author, and mentor who quickly built a name (+ highly profitable business) for herself by helping service-based business owners communicate with clarity and confidence through her first online program, A Course About Copy®.
Nikki's been featured on NBC News, military.com, and a reality TV episode on Discovery Channel that led to a surprise cameo on Orange is the New Black. She's also known as the online park ranger at Pearl Harbor, welcoming millions of visitors to the USS Arizona Memorial since 2010.
Nikki launched the Naptime Empires® podcast (soon to be book!) to help family-focused entrepreneurs feel less alone in the journey. Her mission is to help high-achieving women avoid burnout so they can lead for the long haul and ENJOY the success. For more tips and inspiration follow Nikki on Instagram @nikkielledgebrown, nikkielledgebrown.com and via her podcast at naptimeempires.com.
“When things feel stressful or not enjoyable and you're feeling guilt around not getting something done, check back in with your values.”
– NIKKI ELLEDGE BROWN
What you'll hear (and don't want to miss!)
- The story of how Nikki got her business off the ground in 2013, and some of the lessons she learned in doing so [6:12]
- How (and why) I initially reached out to her and the way she filtered our friendship during that season of building her business [12:50]
- The way that Nikki brings others into her circle, including myself, and where the motivation to do this comes from [20:39]
- What “profitable priorities” are to Nikki, and why this concept is so critical to understand for entrepreneurs [28:30]
- The magic that can happen when you just show up, and the ways Nikki recently did this recently with her community [30:30]
- What your audience really wants from you that will set you apart from others [34:32]
- What Nikki’s family situation looks like right now, and an exciting update about her upcoming book [35:59]
- Two things that would mean much more to her than any financial goal for next year [38:59]
- How to start refining your “eff management system” and what Nikki thinks about timelines [43:48]
- What #BothSides means, and how we can begin applying this principle to our own lives [50:50]
Resources + links mentioned:
- “I was modeling what I was helping them with, so if people were hooked by the way that I was communicating through my writing, then that’s what I was going to be helping them with.” [7:11]
- “I did start clamming up, because I thought it wasn’t safe to shine and all that stuff many of us go through when you do have a big success. You don’t know where it’s safe to share it.” [16:34]
- “Just physically being born and designed to stand out, I wanted to help connect myself with other people.” [21:18]
- “It’s surprisingly easy, when you only have pockets of time, to distract yourself with who knows what.” [29:12]
- “For the last clients you got that you love, or customers that you love to show up and serve, what were you doing that led them to you?” [32:28]
- “What I was thinking was that if I had this baby and a book written, that would mean more to me rolling into 2021 than any financial goal.” [39:12]
- “When things feel stressful or not enjoyable, and you’re feeling guilt around not getting something done, check back in with your values.” [49:35]
Show some love
Did you love this episode? Reviews are like warm hugs, high fives, and happy dance all in one. Leave an honest review over on Apple Podcasts.