Follow Your Bliss with George Brian Sellner
Do you ever want a sneak peek behind how couples navigate entrepreneurship, long-term partnership, and making big life decisions? If you want to find the inspiration to follow your bliss without destroying your most important relationships in the process, this episode is for you.
In today’s conversation, I get cozy with my husband, George Brian Sellner. We've been married for 15 years and explore a wide range of topics. From the highs and lows of starting and closing businesses, how we made it through hard times, and some simple practices we do to stay connected to each other and our personal dreams.
George is a husband, father, teaching artist and entrepreneur. He has spent a majority of his life in the performing arts as a touring actor, musician, performer and educator. He founded One Heart Music, a rock and roll family music class, and for the past 7 years has helped over 1,000 families fall in love with the magic of making music together in a community. He’s recorded three children’s music albums which you can find on Spotify or at oneheartmusic.org. George is a certified coach under Brian Johnson's Optimize program, and he’s committed to optimal living and helping others create a flourishing life.
“One Heart Music has been this culmination of everything that I've done in the past. I had to go towards the bliss.”
– GEORGE SELLNER
What you'll hear (and don't want to miss!)
- Why George and I were both initially hesitant to having him appear on the podcast [1:50]
- The story of how we met, and how he says it was “love at first sight” [4:13]
- The ways that George leads with love by following his inner voice [9:08]
- What living in Hawaii and starting our first business together looked like, plus the key lessons this experience taught us [15:33]
- How One Heart Music was born, why we made the decision to close down our learning center and the impact this had on our marriage at that time [24:50]
- What really came from the hard times we got through together [30:05]
- George’s relationship with social media, and a big realization he made about his time management [32:28]
- The significant effect that reading, and the other daily habits he now does, has had on his life [36:15]
- What George’s “habit stacking” looks like, and something we have done together for 269 days in a row (and counting) that has brought us closer [40:10]
- A powerful practice we do for our relationship that makes all the difference [43:24]
- How he’s working through the struggle to stop needing external validation [46:45]
Resources + links mentioned:
» Connect with One Heart Music on Facebook
» The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman
- “I feel like I’m more than just a music teacher. I feel like I have a relationship with the community, so I want to serve these families and kids. It’s not just a transaction.” [10:37]
- “One Heart Music has been this culmination of everything that I’ve done in the past. I didn’t see it before. I had to go towards the bliss.” [13:09]
- “All the stuff that didn’t make sense in my past makes sense through what I do now.” [13:59]
- “Something just flipped for me where I wasn’t expecting you to make me happy anymore, though you do.” [28:21]
- “Time is limited, so what do we do with it? Can we make this life everything that we dream of, or at least strive to go for those things?” [35:46]
- “I feel like reading has opened up my world. It’s opened up lights inside of me, and curiosities.” [37:35]
Show some love
Did you love this episode? Reviews are like warm hugs, high fives, and happy dance all in one. Leave an honest review over on Apple Podcasts.