Are you a leader who wants to ignite a movement and change the world through speaking? If you’ve got something to say, this episode is for you.
In episode 136 of the Lead with Love podcast, I get cozy with my friend and speaking coach, Jill Wesley, the creator of the Science + Soul of Speaking™— a unique way to truly “show up” in your talks.
Jill is the speaker coach for TEDxSanFrancisco and over the past 25 years she’s trained and coached over 80,000 executives and high-performing employees in some of the world's top companies (LinkedIn, Twitter, Stanford Law School, NFL Players Association).
I personally had the opportunity to have Jill as my speaking coach as I prepared for my first TEDx talk and today I share a confession, that even Jill didn’t know about, on the self-sabotage that creeped up for me before I went on stage.
What I love about Jill is she’s been in the trenches of speaking on stages too. She’s delivered more than 300 keynotes in all 50 states and in 25 countries. Her work has been featured in USA Today and on NPR.
Jill is dedicated to working with people whose work makes a difference, including speakers in the fields of leadership, technology, science, journalism, pro sports, entertainment and social justice. Some of her clients have won Super Bowls, Pulitzer Prizes and Emmys®.
Tune in and listen below:
What you'll hear (and don't want to miss!)
- How a big part of the work Jill does revolves around social justice and how this came to be [6:34]
- Ways to integrate a passion for social causes with operating a thriving business [9:57]
- Reclaiming leadership and expertise in the speaking industry [20:19]
- What she would say to someone who is doubting they have a message to share [24:16]
- How to unlock your message and then share it with the world [27:12]
- Why we hesitate and procrastinate when presenting our message [34:39]
- My own experience with my TEDx talk and how the reality differed from my perception of it [38:14]
- The reason we need to pay attention to the message that others are sharing and what can happen when we do [49:09]
- How to dream bigger and how you can overcome this and achieve massive success [51:47]
Resources + links mentioned:
Connect with Jill on LinkedIn!
“My work is connected to making the world a better place, not just for the people in my own circle, but for everyone.” [6:58]
“It’s ok if the answer is “No”, but if you don’t ask, you’ll never know.” [18:03]
“Everybody has multiple messages inside of them, and the beauty of my work is I get to help unlock that for them.” [24:19]
“Not everybody needs to be a speaker, but everybody needs to know what they stand for.” [25:14]
“That’s how you know a message is sticky. The simplicity of it is actually something that can guide people’s behavior and shift their lives just with your words.” [40:35]
“Opportunity comes from action.” [53:37]
Share your thoughts… I’d love to hear from you!
Show some love
Did you love this podcast? Leave an honest review over on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help spread the word, and I take the time to read each one.
The Lead with Love podcast is hosted by Jadah Sellner (that's me!). I help entrepreneurs build their tribes with the online program, Build Your Challenge. I'm also an author, international keynote + TEDx speaker, poet, and creator of Love Over Metrics™, a Business Growth Incubator and Mastermind for women with big ambitions and even bigger hearts. #LeadWithLove
P.S. FREE gift for you: Get the 5-Step Challenge Roadmap here, so you can grow your tribe in a fun + simple way.