If you’ve ever found yourself pursuing the unconventional path in life, this episode is for you.
In today’s conversation, I talk with Chris Guillebeau, the New York Times bestselling author of The $100 Startup (one of my favorite books), Side Hustle, and other books. During a lifetime of self-employment that included a four-year commitment as a volunteer executive in West Africa, he visited every country in the world (193 in total) before his 35th birthday. His daily podcast, Side Hustle School, is downloaded more than two million times a month.
Chris is someone that I really look up to in terms of the books he’s written (a total of 5, holy guacamole!) and how he shows up in the world. Giving a keynote at his World Domination Summit Event was one of the most impactful moments for me on my own entrepreneurial journey.
Tune in and listen below:
What you'll hear (and don't want to miss!)
- How Chris developed the thread of non-conformity in his life and business [5:28]
- Why he doesn’t like the word “balance” – and what he uses instead [7:58]
- He says it’s an ongoing process, but what Chris does to stop comparing himself to others [12:28]
- What inspired him to share openly about his breakdown [14:03]
- How he feels about balancing criticism and connection – and why not everything you write has to land with everyone [18:28]
- The way World Domination Summit started and his recommendations for someone looking to build a community from scratch [23:10]
- How his podcast has contributed to the growth of his business, and what’s surprised him most about it [25:58]
- The role that accountability has played in Chris becoming a published author and how it affects what he does today [33:58]
- How and why he implements a live, in-person element to his book marketing strategy [36:59]
- What Chris really wanted to be when he grew up and how it’s led to him leading an unconventional life [39:53]
- What his team looks like today and why he’s unconventional in his approach with this too [46:42]
- Why Chris says he never “unplugs” and what’s next for him in his journey [49:35]
- The path to take if you want to speak at an event like World Domination Summit – and the one thing you should never ask [52:16]
Resources + links mentioned:
- The Art of Non-conformity
- The $100 Startup
- The Happiness of Pursuit
- Born for This
- Side Hustle
5 Simple Rules to Build Your Community with Heart with Jadah Sellner
World Domination Summit Keynote with Jadah Sellner
Love is the Killer App by Tim Sanders
Playing Big by Tara Mohr
“It’s not like I’m anti-capitalist in any way, but I think there’s certainly room for, or even a necessity for, looking at different kinds of metrics.” [7:05]
“Just hearing about this convergence between something I’ve done and what other people are doing, that to me is motivating.” [9:53]
“Ideas don’t have value until you do something with them.” [19:26]
“I believe if you have the people, you can figure everything else out.” [22:44]
“As a young adult I felt like I had something to share, but it took a little while to figure out what was the medium and how I was going to do it.” [40:47]
“I tend to be much more successful when I’m doing most things on my own, and that’s what I keep doing.” [46:33]
Share your thoughts… I’d love to hear from you!
Show some love
Did you love this podcast? Leave an honest review over on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help spread the word, and I take the time to read each one.
The Lead with Love podcast is hosted by Jadah Sellner (that's me!). I help entrepreneurs build their tribes with the online program, Build Your Challenge. I'm also an author, international keynote + TEDx speaker, poet, and creator of Love Over Metrics™, a Business Growth Incubator and Mastermind for women with big ambitions and even bigger hearts. #LeadWithLove
P.S. Are you ready to get clarity on the next steps in your business? If you own a business and you’re ready to stop working on the day to day tasks, so you can focus on your vision + company growth, I can help YOU. Let’s explore the possibility of working together.
There are two ways to get personal business strategy from me as you reach your goals.
1. 1:1 Mentorship for Visionaries is my private coaching program for business women who already have teams in place, make consistent revenue, and who need personal insights and feedback with a high level strategist.
2. Love Over Metrics Business Growth Incubator is a mastermind that will help you get clear on your next steps for business growth, so you can build a company that serves you and the world. Click here to get on the waitlist. We review applications soon!
Plus, FREE gift for you: Get the 5-Step Challenge Roadmap here, so you can grow your tribe in a fun + simple way.